Pages

Theology, Philosophy, Beliefs and Doubts.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The problem of interpretation

I have been struggling with the bible for as far back as I can remember. I have never been comfortable with it. In part, I think it is because I was never taught to read it in a way that I can respect. Instead, school and church took a more "obey it. it is law" kind of approach, where I was simply expected to believe and not question. That demands a certain amount of faith that I have never had. Church perhaps had its reasons to do so (it is a church after all, made up of people who share the same core beliefs), and it has a necessary presupposition of biblical authority without which would be impossible to advance any sort of teaching. But I do place  more blame on my christian school, which gave extreme priority to a right wing, non-intellectual, literalist approach to hermeneutics that seemed to fly in the face of any contemporary studies of philosophy, literary theory, or even biblical exegesis itself. Even as a teenager I couldn't help but have a hard time swallowing much of what they were trying to teach me.

As I grew up it became clear that a fundamentalist/literalist approach to scripture was not only ridiculous, it was itself unbiblical (just take the absurd flights of fancy that creationists are forced to take in order to justify this sort of behavior as an example). After all, much of the Bible was written not as literal instruction, but as poetry, allegory, etc. Of course, once you realize that the bible must be interpreted (though any literary theorist will tell you that even the most "literal" approach necessitates interpretation) then the threat of overwhelming subjectivity is nearly paralyzing.

Of course, I just made it worse by majoring and then getting a MA in literature. Not only that, but I have done so in the midst of the so-called post-modern age, the age of deconstruction. Derrida, Fish, Lacan, and the rest of their ilk have called into question (though admittedly full of paradoxes themselves) the availability, knowability and expressibility of knowledge through words (and therefore, at all). Everything seems like a power play of subjectivity. While this provides delicious and infinite approaches to a literary work, it is completely disconcerting when it comes to a text that is supposed to contain Truth.
Now some people may say that the Bible is different (and as a christian I should certainly hope so) because it is the living word of God and because the Holy Sprit empowers us in its readings. While this sounds great in theory, in historical practice we can see a church filled with schisms and heresy, all stemming from interpretative differences. Even if we accept that the Bible has authority we still run into the hermeneutical problem of how to access it.

Even NT Wright (a theologian whom I enjoy very much, but who isn't able to give a much better reason than the one I was given in my youth: postmodern interpretation is wrong just because) admits the problem: "... a tension developing between authority and interpretation: How far can a reinterpretation of the text go before it ceases to carry the authority which was the point of interpreting it in the first place?" His solution leans on tradition of interpretation and context. I can partially get on board with this, for New Historicism is also a product of the post-modern critical era and it has quite a bit in common with what he advocates.

I know this post is poorly structured and probably incoherent, and therefore meaningless to most of you (especially the critical theory jargon bits), but I am open to comments, disagreements, and reading suggestions.

8 comments:

eefpeef said...

ah, deconstruction, etc. it is an exhausting approach. The Bible as literature.. Why is it that the more I read, the more I feel the need to call everything into question? (Isn´t learning supposed to clarify things???)

Anonymous said...

i´m enjoying reading this blog again ryan, wish i had more time to think about it... but i have a little girl giving me kisses and asking for food (who is also getting into the "why?" phase)... in general i have many of the same or similar questions... eventually i´ll try to have a conversation with you about it:-)

Jenn said...

"Now some people may say that the Bible is different (and as a christian I should certainly hope so) because it is the living word of God and because the Holy Sprit empowers us in its readings."

What makes the latter part of that sentence true? It is something I have always struggled with. And if you answer "because the Bible says so" I am not going to buy it!

I have never been able to swallow the "literal" interpretation of the Bible. And I have finally come to a place where I am ok with that. I consider it a sacred text, much like Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, the Bhagavad Gita and others. They all have great wisdom in them as well as huge problems.

Because of my background, the Bible holds more meaning for me and I still deeply love it. I have just come to terms with the fact I can love it, even if it has flaws.

Ryan said...

why is the bible different? hmm... that is a very difficult question, one that I am trying to figure out myself. I fully agree that there are many texts, religious and secular alike, that contain important and universal truth. I wouldn't be a literature major otherwise.
Nevertheless, it is clear by my comments that I believe there is something different about the Bible. But it isn't so much due to the text itself as to the inextricable relationship it has with the religion from which it both originates and is origin. In the end, religion has to be approached on its own terms, and there has to be an accepted place for faith (as much as our post-enlightenment brains want to fight this...).
Throughout my seeking, I haven't found any religion that addresses the questions and beliefs of my personal cosmology like Christianity does. I have certain beliefs that have become nonnegotiable: one monotheistic and personal creator, the human soul, goodness and fallenness in the world, etc. So, if I find Christianity's cosmology to be different from that of the rest of the world, then I cannot help but treat its source text as also worthy of some special status.
Now then, that still brings us back to the problem of interpretation.

Kenny said...

I understand and share a lot of your problems with interpretation. However, when I think of my own path to wresting with interpretation I recall firstly having to accept the Bible as authority and this happened through experience.

Perhaps this is a necessary step to take before getting deep into interpretation. I think you've kind of taken it - you recognize the Bible as "special" - but not fully.

I needed to firstly test and see that it is the Word of God. Then, once it became the most important text in the world to me, I embarked on sifting through the historical texts to try to get as close as possible to the original autographs and the context they were written in.

I have a feeling that this what Paul talks about in 1 Corinthians 1: if we don't take this Word as the word of God, it will always be folly to the world. Once you take it as the Word of God (sure, do this logically or scientifically by testing it, but really testing it, open to the possibility that it is Truth), then interpretation is different.

Kenny said...

(cont.)
Answering this question on a personal level, what has made me believe that the Bible is the Word of God is experience. During my latter adolescence (16-18, although some would argue that I still in that phase...) I tested stuff. I read something and it said: God answers prayers if they are in his name. So I tried that, and got some answers (albeit not the ones I expected). It said God provides, and I found that to be true. It said God gives wisdom to those who ask, and I tried that and made some right decisions. It says God can change you from within, and there is visible evidence of this in my life.

Subjective? Of course, it's my life! But it got to a point where I could not be intellectually honest with myself and not believe that the Bible proved to be true.

Having lived with this for some time, I began to run into stuff that didn't work out as the interpretation I was given either through the translation I read or through someone else. That gave me fuel to read deeper, and to read the Bible as a whole and not as a lot of "promises" or "wise sayings". It gave me a passion to try to discover who God really is (was and will be) through the Scripture, history and experience. Now it's impossible for me to read a verse without thinking on all the other factors that play into it, but I still know that at the beginning this was the Word of God and I can trust that He kept it pretty well throughout the ages despite the manipulations, additions, decisions and rules put in place by men (yes, mostly men).

This may not help, but from a logical standpoint I think experience needs to precede (or at least accompany) your search for proper interpretation.

Ryan said...

Thanks for your well thought out answer kenny. Yeah, I agree with you to a great extent. In a sense, what you said goes a bit hand in hand with my reasons for finding the bible to be more than just a normal text. My own experience has led me to cosmological conclusions that seem to support the biblical description of the way the world works.
Now, where we differ perhaps is in what kind of experience we feel that the bible has been proven true with. I am more wary of personal experiences I think. But it is hard to sift one from the other.

Kenny said...

yes, I agree, it can't be completely personal experiences, especially like: God gave me a parking space! But whatever experience or observation you find in relation to what you are reading, praying or conversing with God is, essentially, personal. That's what makes this so hard, it really is about one and one's Creator. And then, and only then, the rest. It also makes it much more exciting and personal, but hard nonetheless.

Older Posts