After a day of reading about different aspects of Christianity (such as its relation to Judaism, the influence of neoplatonism, and the history of ecclesiastical councils...) I found myself suddenly overwhelmed by the seemingly unending strings of theological thought and possibility. Reeling, I went to take a shower to collect my thoughts... I groaned in frustration. "How can anyone claim to adhere to anything? So much of what we follow is the result of arbitrary human decision! It all seems so subjective!"
And indeed it does. And as such, shouldn't it be studied in detail before it is affirmed by a believer? But then, how can anyone but the most studious theologian ever make an informed decision? How can someone say the Nicene creed without having studied the council's decisions and the "heresies" it tried to correct? Why do western branches of Christianity accept the christology offered by the council of Chalcedon, but not the oriental churches? Does it even matter? (To give you an idea of why is seems so petty sometimes: the council of Chalcedon established that the nature of Christ is both fully human and fully divine in separate natures. The Oriental Churches (not to be confused with the Eastern Church), who accepted the previous councils, rejected this conclusion however, stating that that Christ's divine and human nature are not separate, but that he is of one nature that is both equally divine and human. To me, it almost seems like a question of semantics, arbitrary and subjective). From there it all splinters. Every church, every council, every denomination... splinters of interpretation, every branch claiming to have that special insight... And most members not even knowing what it is that they stand for, what they believe.
It is in times like these that I hold orthodox Jews in highest regard. It is no wonder that they spend such great amounts of their youth in study, scrutinizing their scriptures and commentaries. In the end, their awareness of their beliefs at least justifies their faith. So many Christians have no clue why they hold something to be true, they merely do. And among those who have studied their faith, most have merely studied "their way", with no real way to say if theirs is the "best" dogma because they haven't studied other theological alternatives. Sadly, even our seminarians tend to be stuck in "defensive theology", learning about other views from militaristic perspectives created to shoot down other ideas without any real desires for objectivism.
But even so, not everyone has the time nor the mental ability to dissect theology. This is where protestantism finds itself looking absurdly hypocritical. It staunchly defends individual rights of scriptural interpretation and looks down on Catholicism's emphasis on tradition. And yet, the average protestant believer, nay the average protestant church even, relies on traditional interpretation just as much as the church of Rome does. At least the catholics acknowledge their debt and reliance on past decisions. I suppose protestants at least have the luxury of dissent if they so please and the awareness of human error. But it is this same awareness that is driving me mad. Unable to simply rest in the decisions of our forefathers, I find myself compelled to go back farther and father, demolishing thousands of years of religion in an attempt to find a clean base on which to start building. Now, probably I will end up using those same bricks to rebuild my beliefs, but it is a maddening process because it is so large. I often pull out one brick, only to have 7 more fall on my head, leaving me dazed and overwhelmed.
In the end, I try to stick to the scriptures (and try not to think about the cannon, because that is another maddening issue) and use them to find the basics. Fortunately, when I really get swamped, I can always fall back on "God is Love" and his greatest commandment. Those beliefs tend to stay strong, and following them tends to keep me out of trouble.
This has turned into quite the rant. Obviously my mind is going back and forth this evening. I'll try to have a more coherent post next time.
3 comments:
Wow! There are so many things in the post I want to comment on but I can't quite get any of my own thoughts in order.
Since it was one of my last thoughts, I'll stick with this. Do you ever feel like reading the Bible in English (or Spanish) is limiting because the translations are clearly flawed? I wish I could fluently understand the "original" texts of the Bible so that I wasn't basing my opinions/beliefs on somebody else's translation.
yeah, trust in the text is a huge issue, but I honestly dont know if I am quite ready to wrestle with that one right now. We'll see about in the future
Ryan!
Are you a friend of Masha's? Have I even met you, perhaps? Anyway, I'm her fiance; she put your blog as one of our faves on our blog (michaelandmasha)...
..anywho, I'm quite intrigued by your comments. I'd love to have a meeting of the minds sometime.
I think I'd basically agree with your deconstruction; however, while it might not be a NET good (b/c many people could be led astray by bad doctrine), I'd at least say that this house of bricks can be a nice shortcut--we can examine each brick and either find it lacking or else adequate. If the latter, it's saved us heaps of time by not forcing to simply make our bricks out of mud and straw!
As to my background, I'd say I'm a Christian who understands what I believe and am constantly questioning it from all angles. I've eventually had to sort of "self-style" what I believe, finding most systems lacking (can't brook with either covenentalism OR dispensationalism, for example)...it's funny; we've mostly tended to approach the bible very systematically, instead of organically (I'm sure you've heard of the distinction); of course, both methods have big drawbacks.
So my question: since we can never know ANYTHING to a certainty (we could all live in the matrix, etc)...when will your "maddening quest" end? Comment me back if you wish @ michaelandmasha.blogspot.com ...just comment on a recent post if you like.
Cheers!
Post a Comment